One of our customers, Joe Gallagher, sent us his own relish recipe. It sounds great and we'll be giving it a try.
Joe's Sweet Tomato Relish
· 2kg Tomatoes
· 500g Onions - chopped
· 2 Red & 2 Green Bell Peppers - chopped
· 2 Apples – peeled, cored and chopped
· 2 stalk Celery – chopped
· Dried chillies (a few)
· 750ml Apple Cider Vinegar
· 2 dessertspoons Tomato Puree
· 500g Sugar
· 2 tablespoons Salt
· 1 dessertspoon Mustard Powder or Seeds
· 1 dessertspoon Mild Curry Powder
· Garlic crushed or small amount of Ground Garlic Powder
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon cloves – grounded
· 1 teaspoon of Allspice
· 1 teaspoon of Ginger (Dried Powder)
· !/2 teaspoon Cayenne
· 1 teaspoon of coarse Black Pepper
· Extra cup of vinegar and 1 tablespoon Corn flour
Peel Tomatoes (blanch). Chop into small pieces, add chopped celery onion and peppers, mix together add the salt and leave to soak overnight in fridge, drain thoroughly next day.
Transfer to large cooking pot. Add all including sugar spices and vinegar. Make sure sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, boil rapidly for 5 minutes and then simmer for 1 hour (remove scum) keep stirring frequently. To thicken relish mix corn flour with your extra cup of vinegar and make into a smooth paste add little at a time until it thickens.
Bottle into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold
All ingredients are approx and may need adjusting to your taste.
Make approx 10 medium sized jars.