The Geodesic dome kit from Hub's takes all the hard work out of building your own outdoor dome structure. Geodesic domes are brilliant structures but are difficult to build, this kit makes it possible for anyone to build their own dome-based structure quickly and with ease. The kit contains everything you need aside from the timber and can be used to build a dome of any size you want. The connectors are made from automotive grade, UV resistant plastic. Aside from timber, bamboo, plastic, metal and other tubes can be used by filling the ends with resin or rubber so that the ball connectors can be screwed on.
From The Manufacturer:
How It Works:
They work with any wood. The ball connectors simply screw onto the ends of the sticks using a standard PZ2 bit. Once they're on you're ready to build.
Snap together. The ball connectors snap into the hubs in a specific alignment and orientation. Out of that alignment they stay in the sockets.
Wide angles of movement. Allows you to build from the inside to the outside, connecting each layer at a time. The dome grows up out of the ground!
Lots of possibilities - what would you build?
A moonbase for the kids, a dome home for your dog, a nature hide, festival tent, chicken run, planetarium, pond cover, green house, fruit cage, aviary, observatory? We love seeing what people make.
Scaleable and adaptable – what could you create?
By cutting sticks to different lengths you can create domes of different sizes and because the joints aren't fixed you can alter and adapt the base structure after creating your dome. Fancy making the bottom legs longer? or creating an igloo-like entrance way? – you can, just as long as it's still structurally sound.
Hubs Geodesic Domes Timber Guide
Hubs recommend using 32mm (1.25in) wide timber or tubing in their dome kits. The lengths will depend on the size of the dome to be built. There is a calculator available over on Hub's website here: https://buildwithhubs.ie/stickguide.html
Cutting List Examples:
1m Diameter dome: 30 shorts at 185mm & 35 Longs at 221mm
2m Diameter dome: 30 shorts at 458mm & 35 Longs at 530mm
3m Diameter dome: 30 shorts at 731mm & 35 Longs at 839mm
4m Diameter dome: 30 shorts at 1005mm & 35 Longs at 1148mm
5m Diameter dome: 30 shorts at 1278mm & 35 Longs at 1457mm
What's in the box?
- 5-way hubs (x6) and 6-way hubs (x20), You need just two types of hub to make your 2v dome. Once the ball connectors are attached to your sticks simply snap them into the hubs to start building.
- Ball connector (x150), Screws onto the ends of your sticks.
- Wood screw (x150), Attaches the ball connectors to the sticks.
- Locking plate (x26), Clamps the ball connectors in place once the dome is in its final position.
- Hub screw (x26), Goes through the centre of the hub for clamping.
- Wing nut (x25), Screws onto the end of the hub screw to clamp the locking plate in place.
- Hanging eyelet (x1), Use this to hang something nice from the centre of your dome.
- Allen Key (x1)
- Easy to follow guide (Geodesic Domes Made Simple)